Advise from the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy

According to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy, You should either turn your air condition off or set the thermostat at 78 degrees or higher when you are away from home.  Each degree above that saves you about 3 to 5%, meaning that if you set it at 80 instead of 78, you’re using up to 10% less energy.  The council says that your air conditioners are most efficient when they’re running at full blast.  So in other words, turn your air conditioner off when you leave for work, and then crank it to cool your place down as soon as you get home.
Now I like to save money as much, if not more, than the next person does but I would rather leave my air conditioner thermostat set for 80 and have it go back to 78 when I return.  I am just not comfortable leaving it off and trying to cool the house again when I get home.  To be honest I'm just not fond of being hot. 
Either way that is what the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy advises.  How do you set your air condition or heater when you are not at home?   What are your money saving / energy saving tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite you to join me on this journey of Learning To Save And Live Well. I welcome your comments, but ask for the comfort of all my readers that you keep your comments courteous. Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you.